Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad


Today would have been my late father's 68th birthday. I wish he was here for me to hug and tell him I love him as much today as I ever have. The last time I saw him I was leaving Memphis for Texas to spend Christmas with my husbands family. He was in his bedroom, I went in there to say goodbye and he hugged me and whispered he loved me. I will always be thankful those are the last words I heard him say. He will have been gone 12 years December 26 this year, but I can still hear his voice, remember the smell of his hair and I feel like he should be around somewhere for me to talk to when I need him, or just when I want peek in to see him sitting in his chair reading Popular Mechanics or the latest Radio Shack catalog.

I still ache that he isn't. I hope I never stop. I miss you Dad, I love you. Happy Birthday!!!

7 comments:

Maegan said...

I'm so glad you started a blog!!

I have been thinking about Grandpa today, too. Sadly, I don't remember a whole bunch of him so I love to hear all of our family's favorite memories of him. Thank you for sharing that.

I love you, mom!

AD said...

He's been gone so long that it is hard to imagine he would still only be 68, which is even young. As I get older I realize just how young he really was when he died. How grateful I am for a dad who loved his family and expressed that love to each of us. I didn't know that was the last thing he said to you, but it doesn't surprise me. He left a huge hole in each of our lives. I treasure my memories of him.

Carla said...

Hey Sabe! Welcome to the blogosphere. Its fun! I need Maegan's blog link.
I've been thinking alot of Dad at this time too. Mom's flying in today, we'll have to stop at the cemetery and wish him a Happy Birthday. Wow its hard to imagine him at 68 yrs old.

AD said...

How freaky! Look at the time that Carla and I both posted our comments!

Unknown said...

Welcome welcome, fellow blogger!

This was a great post. I feel sad that my memories of him are fading away. The ones I still have are really good though. In particular, I remember our car rides to and from Memphis. It was SO SPECIAL to have one-on-one time with him. I miss him a lot. I so wish my kids could have known him. He would have loved them.

Nikki said...

Hey Sabe! It is so nice to hear from you!! Great post. Can't wait to read more!!

martha wesson said...

So happy that you are going to share your thoughts and feelings with us via the"blogspot". Your remembrance of your dad made me cry. I visited him at his graveside on Thurs. It is so peaceful and quiet there- restful. I always hope for some kind of special feeling or message when I go there, but alas I haven't yet. Hope to see you this weekend. Love you, Mom